(Please visit Dino's on-going blog at: http://dinostraining.blogspot.com/)

(Please visit Dino's on-going blog at: http://dinostraining.blogspot.com/)

Saturday, October 25, 2008

September 29, 2008

I walked over to Al and Jean’s house and I took one of their dogs, Abby, for a short walk around a part of the property that the dog does not go to. The dogs pretty much stay inside the yard around the house and don’t go anywhere else on the property.

I walked Abby in front of the house and down between some trees and down toward the warehouse. When I got to the front of the warehouse where all the vehicles are, I made a right turn and when up and behind the old house. There is a fire road that goes behind this old house and down toward the other end of the property. I decided to make this a short trail since Dino was doing an unknown scent in an unknown are with no treats on the ground. I cut behind the house and under a wire fence. I went back up to the new house along the main driveway and back up to the house. That took me about 15 minutes.

I had Rebecca hold Abby while I went across the street to get Dino. It took me about 15 minutes to get Dino and come back. I came with his rawhide bone, the bag of treats and a clicker. I cut Dino into the trail near the warehouse and old vehicles. I showed him Abby’s scent, said “take scent” and “search.” He immediately put his head down and picked up the trail back toward behind the old house and fire road. I was clicking and treating in various spots when he got the turns correctly and when he appeared to be focused on the trail.

We both overshot the turn behind the house and under the fencing. I was about 10 feet past the turn when I realized my mistake. I stopped and didn’t say anything. Dino stopped, looked at me and went back up to the trail. He got the turn under the fencing without me saying a word! I immediately clicked and treated.

He got the trail back out to the main road which goes back to the new house. He seemed pretty focused on finding something and was going around and around. He finally found a part of a cookie I had given Abby. He started to eat it when I stopped him. I said “get to work” and “search.” He immediately went back to the trail. He followed it up the driveway and saw Rebecca with Abby on the porch. He pulled me up to where they were. Abby was a little protective of Rebecca and the porch, so I had her bring Abby down to the parking lot where Dino was. She was more playful. I told Dino “show me” and he went to Abby and back to me. I gave him the treat bag to eat the kibble inside. And then we played with his rawhide bone.

No comments: