(Please visit Dino's on-going blog at: http://dinostraining.blogspot.com/)

(Please visit Dino's on-going blog at: http://dinostraining.blogspot.com/)

Saturday, October 25, 2008

September 16, 2008

While I was at the Tops Supermarket, I took Scout out to set a track for Dino. I parked the car behind a Burger King restraurant. I walked Scout out the lot, across the street and around some buildings and then back onto the street. I then walked up onto the street and along the sidewalk. I walked down the street to the end of the shopping center. At the end of the shopping center I made a right turn, back toward the center. Then I made a right back toward the car. I then made a left heading toward the Longs store. In front of the store I made a right turn and walked in front of several stores, and then I made a right turn back toward the car.

I took Dino out and put on his harness. He was excited and looking around more something to start searching for. I walked him directly across the street and cut into Scout’s trail. I told him “take scent” as I showed him the paper towel with her scent. He picked up the trail right away and started to follow it. He went around the building and out onto the street. He crossed the street and went to the sidewalk. Along this sidewalk he seemed to get distracted and wanted to cut across into the bushes. He did this numerous times. I couldn’t tell if he was getting bored, which he hadn’t done in the past. I couldn’t tell if he thought the trail was in that direction. I did the regular thing, which was to stop him and let him figure out that the scent wasn’t in the direction. When he went straight again along the trail, I would praise him. But then he would cut into the bushes again.

Later on I thought that he was loosing interest because there wasn’t food. I thought about using a clicker with treats in the future when he gets turns and tough spots. I will try that to help him out.

He was having a tough time on a couple more turns. He seemed very focused on heading toward the car in some spots. I thought he might be smelling Scout, but we weren’t near the car. I couldn’t figure out why he was having such a tough time. He definitely seemed like he wasn’t focused on what he should have been doing.

When we finally got to the car, I played a lot with him, but he wanted to just go to the car. It was strange. Usually, he is fine with playing with his bone.

No comments: