(Please visit Dino's on-going blog at: http://dinostraining.blogspot.com/)

(Please visit Dino's on-going blog at: http://dinostraining.blogspot.com/)

Saturday, October 25, 2008

September 25, 2008

I did something a little different this time. I took Mercury and walked him around the Performing Arts Center. I walked him around the perimeter of the parking lot. It was very hot, so I knew we didn’t have a lot of time to waste. Mercury was great. I had a can of cat food with me and fed him when he wanted to stop. We crossed the street to the vacant lot, walked down the sidewalk about 50 feet and then crossed over the street back to the parking lot of the center. We walked around the perimeter of the building and behind it to where the AC and heating equipment was and then back to the car parked in the loading dock.

I then went to do an errand just about two buildings away. I drove there and came back to when the track was a little over an hour old. I took Dino out and had treats, a clicker, his rawhide reward, put on his harness and long line. I walked him over to where I had walked Mercury, a ways from the car. I showed him the scent pad of Mercury, said “take scent” and then “search.” He went right to looking. He followed the perimeter of the parking lot. He overshot the left turn, but then he stopped, and came back and got the turn. I clicked and treated. His enthusiasm seemed to jump. He went right back to where the scent was on the ground. He got the next left turn. I clicked and treated. He kept following the track. I clicked and treated again. Then he did something strange. We were at the curb to cross the street. He stopped to look at me like he was looking for a click and a treat. I didn’t do anything. I turned in the direction of the scent across the street and I said “take scent” as I showed him the pad and I said “search.” He slowly turned in that direction and crossed the street. I didn’t want to click then because I thought that would be distracting. He made the next left turn down the sidewalk. He overshot the next left turn. I stopped him. He stopped and then came back. He got the scent again crossing the street. This time I did click and treat. He continued into the parking lot and alongside the building and behind the building. He got distracted by some birds flying around a lizard running by. He did keep going straight, but his interest seemed to dwindle a bit. He continued on the track back to the car. He got a bunch of treats, some water and his rawhide bone and a bunch of playing.

I really did see a difference in the use of the clicker in keeping his interest and keeping his focus on what the job is. I think I will continue to use it.

No comments: